Over 70 Years of Inspired Innovation
For more than seven decades, Alside has provided leadership and excellence in the exterior building products industry.
It all began in 1947, when our founder, Jerome J. Kaufman, invented America's first residential baked enamel aluminum siding. Today, we continue to innovate through continuing efforts to upgrade and enhance our products and solutions.
- Alside is founded by Jerome Kaufman, along with his brother Manual (Mickey) and several other associates. . Alside quickly becomes one of the largest users of sheet aluminum in the world.
- After observing how paint bonds to aluminum fuselages on World War II planes, Jerome Kaufman, owner of one of the largest retail home improvement dealers in the United States, invents the first residential baked enamel aluminum siding.
- Donald Kaufman, brother of Jerome, joins Alside in the legal department.
- Alside enters the distribution business when it opens its first company-owned supply centers in Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and Chicago.
- Alside becomes a public company.
- A new modern facility that houses Alside’s manufacturing and corporate offices is constructed in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, after the original building is destroyed by fire. This facility still serves as the corporate headquarters today.
- Alside is listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Steel siding is introduced on a limited basis. Alside International is established in Puerto Rico to produce stone siding. Brick panels follow soon after.
- All of Alside's outstanding stock is acquired by U.S. Steel. Alside becomes the acknowledged leader in both the steel and aluminum siding industry.
- Alside begins distribution of aluminum windows and storm doors.
- Donald Kaufman is named president and chief operating officer.
- Alside enters the aluminum replacement window business with the opening of a manufacturing plant in Wadsworth, Ohio.
- Alside enters the vinyl siding business with the construction of a new manufacturing facility in West Salem, Ohio.
- To meet the needs of a changing marketplace, Alside develops its first vinyl replacement window.
- Founder Jerome Kaufman retires as chairman, and Donald Kaufman becomes chief executive officer.
- William W. Winspear purchases Alside and two other companies from U.S. Steel to form Associated Materials Incorporated.
- Due to increasing demand, Alside adds a plant in Ennis, Texas, solely dedicated to producing vinyl siding and accessories.
- Alside opens a kitchen cabinet plant in Liberty, North Carolina under a new division, UltraCraft.
- Increasing product demand leads to the opening of a vinyl window manufacturing facility in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- An additional vinyl window manufacturing plant opens in Kinston, N.C.
- Alside opens its Central Window Plant in a portion of the manufacturing facility in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
- Alside enters the new construction market with the introduction of the Performance Series New Construction vinyl window.
- Alside introduces Charter Oak® Premium Vinyl Siding. Referred to as "the siding that changed the industry," it is recognized for its beauty, durability and installation ease.
- Alside produces its 5 millionth window.
- The number of Alside Supply Centers continues to grow with the addition of four new locations, totaling 65 company-owned centers nationwide.
- Alside becomes a partner in a new program established by the Department of Energy called ENERGY STAR®. All Alside windows with the ClimaTech® option receive the ENERGY STAR label.
- Alside is publicly traded on the NYSE.
- Alside introduces an accredited Architect Education Program for American Institute of Architects, Construction Specifications Institute and American Institute of Building Design.
- Alside introduces Architectural Classics® shakes and scallops decorative ornamental siding.
- Alside is awarded Vinyl Siding Institute certification on all of its vinyl siding products.
- Alside produces its 6 millionth window.
- Odyssey® Vinyl Siding is re-engineered for better performance and appearance, renaming it Odyssey® Plus.
- Completed construction of new vinyl extrusion plant in Freeport, Texas, named Freeport Vinyl Technologies.
- Alside purchases Alpine Window of Bothell, Wash. This brings the total number of window manufacturing facilities to four and provides a West Coast presence.
- Alside is named ENERGY STAR National Window Partner of the Year.
- Alside adds nine locations to its list of Alside Supply Centers.
- Alside introduces Board and Batten siding: beautiful vertical siding in a premium .050" thickness.
- Alside adds three new Alside Supply Centers.
- Charter Oak® XL 16 foot 8 inch siding is The extended length panel is nearly 40 percent longer than standard siding, offering fewer overlaps and enhanced beauty.
- Mike Caporale is appointed chief executive officer.
- Alside is named ENERGY STAR National Window Partner of the Year for the second consecutive year.
- Two new Alside Supply Centers open.
- Alside is named ENERGY STAR National Window Partner of the Year for the third consecutive year.
- Seven new supply centers join Alside's distribution network. During the next two decades, dozens more will open nationwide.
- Alside introduces the Architectural Color Collection, a series of six dark colors available in Charter Oak® siding and soffit and Trimworks® accessories.
- Alside introduces the Sheffield® Fusion-Welded Vinyl Window, a premium window featuring a sloped sill and a hidden screen track for clean lines and added beauty.
- Alside improves its siding, soffit and accessory warranty coverage, making it one of the industry's strongest.
- Odyssey® Plus is redesigned with a fully rolled-over nailing hem and double, staggered nail slots for superior attachment strength.
- Alside expands its color offerings for siding, soffit and accessories.
- The Architectural vinyl shakes and scallops line is expanded to include new staggered shakes and shingles. New colors are also introduced to support the increased desire of homeowners to add coastal influence to their homes.
- Charter Oak® Energy Elite is introduced. This insulated siding provides the beauty of Charter Oak Siding with enhanced insulation, impact resistance and durability.
- The Excalibur Window is redesigned to feature an even stronger sash profile with sturdier, fully extruded lift rails. With millions installed across the country, this window is among the most popular offerings from Alside. It was later discontinued and replaced with the upgraded Mezzo window.
- Prodigy® Next Generation Insulated Siding is introduced. This double 6 inch clapboard siding features a true flat face, industry-best insulation, an extended length design and engineered vinyl surface guaranteed to resist fading for a generation.
- To support an increase in business in the Western United States, Alside opens a window plant in Yuma, Ariz.
- Thomas Chieffe is named chief executive officer.
- Greenbriar® Vintage Beaded Soffit is added to the Alside soffit product offering. Its new design provides the truly authentic look of beaded wood soffit.
- Coventry is added to the vinyl siding product offering, featuring an attractive cedar grain finish and a rolled top nailing hem for enhanced product performance.
- The Pelican Bay® One line of Shakes and Scallops is added to Alside's polypropylene shakes and scallops offering. Featuring single-course panels, self-concealing side tabs and extended panel lengths.
- Alside announces the addition of a rolled top nailing hem to Conquest®, increasing the wind load performance and making it one of the best performing siding panels within its category.
- Alside becomes a proud member of the U.S. Green Building Council.
- A new palette of rich, dark colors is added to Prodigy Insulated Siding, providing homeowners with even more design options.
- FrameWorks® window color collection is introduced.
- Alside introduces new Charter Oak® Architectural Colors.
- Jerry Burris joins the company as chief executive officer.
- Alside opens its 100th company-owned supply center.
- Alside expands its Promenade™ Sliding Patio Door collection to round out the offering to include contemporary, classic and French rail styles.
- New polyurethane coating technology allows the enhancement of the FrameWorks® Color Collection to offer more than 80 interior and exterior finish combinations.
- Alside offers insulated siding verified for energy performance and color retention, and it is certified by the Vinyl Siding Institute.
- Alside launches Charter Oak featuring graphite polystyrene Neopor® Thermal Foam Technology.
- Sheffield and UltraMaxx Windows recognized as Most Efficient by ENERGY STAR.
- Satinwood Select, a new steel siding with Kynar PVDF coating technology, is launched.
- Alside introduces Mezzo and Fusion windows in the Eastern and Central United States.
- Sheffield and UltraMaxx Windows recognized as Most Efficient of ENERGY STAR for a second year.
- Brian Strauss is appointed president and chief executive officer of Alside.
- Charter Oak is featured on Plastics Make it Possible® Tiny House, which showcases the role plastics play in constructing a building envelope that helps to maximize energy efficiency.
- Alside expands the Mezzo platform to offer the window solution nationwide.
- Sheffield and UltraMaxx Windows recognized as Most Efficient of ENERGY STAR three years in a row.
- Satinwood Select Seamless Steel Coil with Kynar PVDF coating technology is launched.
- Mezzo window line offers new triple-pane glass package.
- Alside’s Charter Oak siding and soffit family celebrates 20 years in the industry with its exclusive TriBeam® strength, vibrant color choices and authentic detail.
- Alside introduces new 1-3/8'' nail fin set back and 1-3/8'' nail fin set back with j-channel adaptor on the Mezzo product line for full-frame replacement and new construction applications.
- Alside launches its 1700 and 1900 New Construction Vinyl Windows, offering a contemporary look with superior structural performance.
- The Explorer Collection of on-trend vinyl siding colors expands with the addition of seven shades, ranging from dark blue to red. The full collection of colors enables greater opportunities for homeowners to personalize their home exteriors.
- Alside introduces an industry-first window solution with the launch of the Mezzo Full-Frame Replacement System, featuring Trimworks with SwiftLock Technology. The system can save up to 40 minutes of installation time per window.
- Alside introduces a new category of cladding with the launch of ASCEND® Composite Cladding, a first-of-its kind solution that delivers beauty, simple installation and a low total installed cost. ASCEND features its patented (GP)² Technology, which delivers a Class A Fire Rating, and it comes with an industry-leading warranty.
- ASCEND is recognized for its innovation by several prominent industry groups, including the National Association of Home Builders, which names ASCEND the "Most Innovative Building Material" in the Best of IBSx™ Awards for the 2021 NAHB International Builders' Show® virtual experience (IBSx).